Thursday, July 12, 2007

A whole week.. in a couple of words

So here is my "catch-up" post for almost a whole week. There haven't been much adventures during the week this time. I think I got the "get all the fun upfront" package or something.
Anyways, I wanted to share some photos and stories from the last weekend here, it was almost the same as the weekend before.
do all the site-seeing on Saturday, meet up with friends Saturday night and spend Sunday relaxing, not doing much.

So Saturday morning, at noon Sangeeth met me at the hotel, he was going to be my tourguide for the day. The plan was to visit Golconda fort, then on to the Qutb Shahi Tombs, and finally to the Salarjung Museum..

Starting off at the fort probably set the tone for the day, walking in there you enter through a gate where when you clap in the entrance, it can be heard all the way at the top of the fort. You can see the entrance right by my right chest in this picture:


the little white building with the high arches. What would happen is: someone would enter the fort, either a guest, a friend, an enemy and they would signal from down there to the top (where the king lived) that someone was there by clapping. (all this information was shared with my by our guide that we had.. if he lied.. I'm lying)
This is pretty amazing for a building that's about 7 / 800 years old! they figured out how sound would travel and exactly which spot you had to stand to listen to it. If you step more than 4 feet away from the spot, you don't hear a thing.

The fort had both Muslim as well as Hindu people living in it, so it has both a temple as well as a mosk in the walls of the fort.

Attached are some more pics of the fort:






After the fort we went to the tombs, I have a ton of pictures of those as well, but here is one of my favorites of one of them.



At the museum we just admired the huge collection of things that are there, from different times as far back as 1st and 2nd century! No photography was allowed there, so unfortunately I can't share any pictures with all of you.

As for my adventures on Sunday... I'll tell you in person! It was a very mellow day, went out for lunch with my new friend Kate, watched Formula 1 in an english pub (10 Downing Street) and just had a blast doing pretty much nothing all day.

As for right now, I am writing this while I am chilling out in an airport lounge in Singapore, just took a two hour nap here and almost getting ready to get back on a plane.. On to the next 16 hours of flight!

Total travel time to get home... I started Thursday night India time at 8pm, I'll be arriving in San Francisco Saturday morning 8:00 am (India time... 7:30 PM San Francisco time)

Live from Singapore, this is Iwan van der Schoor... for you guys.. see you soon!

No comments: