Wednesday, July 4, 2007

modes of transportation

During my stay here I've been using a personal driver, like many people traveling here do.
As of this week, I figured I had to broaden my experience in getting around town.
After a week of navigating around in a car, my co workers told me on Tuesday that I had to experience the other way of getting around town, the auto



The view from inside this tiny vehicle:




We went for lunch to a restaurant called Ginger Garden in this little vehicle, the rules are if you are going less than 2 kilometers, it's a "share", otherwise it's "for hire"

Share means that whoever needs a ride as well, can jump in, as long as there is room.

Then today.. the thing that I've been amazed about the most, all the motorcycles. It looks like EVERYONE has one here, and so do two of my co-workers in the office, so we figured we'd go for lunch at the Oracle HQ cafetaria and take the bike..
So here we go:


Even with traffic as crazy as it is here, there is no helmet law for passengers. If the driver is not wearing his helmet, it's a Rs 500 fine (about $ 12). I guess that's not too much money here, cause I see more people without one than with one.

As a final picture, I attached a photo of the office I am currently working in, Cyber Towers in Hi-Tec City Hyderabad.

No comments: